Posted on 22 Feb, 2016
Detox water is a wonderful option when choosing a refreshing drink. It helps you stay away from sugary alternatives and greatly assists the body flushing out excess toxins.
- Cucumber and Watermelon– contain the compound citrulline which has been shown to help the kidneys and liver get rid of ammonia (toxin). Cucumber also helps alkalise the body and acts as a diuretic – removes excess water from the body.
- Lemon and Lime– can help stimulating the digestive system (helpful with constipation). Lemon and lime have been found to be helpful at cutting down sugar cravings also.
- Mint Leaves– while adding a nice refreshing flavour, mint also helps the digestive system function more effectively – improves the flow of bile from the liver to the small intestine where it breaks down fat. Mint can also relieve cramps in stomach muscles and ease discomfort.
- Oranges– again oranges can help improve the taste of your detox water. However, oranges have numerous other health benefits as well, including being a potent antioxidant.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small water melon (optional)
- 1 lemon
- 2 limes
- 1 orange (optional)
- Bunch of mint (10-15 leaves)
- Slice up all the ingredients. Divide into 3-4 1 litre bottles (depending on taste).
- Fill up the bottles with water. Place in fridge.
Use as required.
Brid Brady MSc Clinical Nutrition and Revive Active Account Manager