Finding the best hydrolysed marine collagen supplement
Collagen supplements can be sourced from animals including cows, pigs, chickens, and fish; collagen sourced from the latter is called marine collagen. Furthermore, collagen supplements can also contain hydrolysed marine collagen - this means that collagen proteins have been broken down into smaller pieces.
This guide will explore the benefits of hydrolysed and marine collagen supplements, and the combined effect of these characteristics. You will also learn about what to look for when finding the best hydrolysed marine collagen supplement.
Benefits of marine collagen
Collagen is an abundant protein in our bodies - this protein is what contributes to skin elasticity. As we reach beyond the age of 30, collagen production is reduced – this may impact the appearance of the skin. Collagen supplementation has gained popularity in the attempt to maintain a healthy collagen level and a youthful appearance of skin.
Marine collagen, sourced from the skin and scales of fish, is commonly regarded as the most more bioavailable. This is because marine collagen contains a higher proportion of type I collagen fibres; these collagen fibres are the most abundant in human skin. Marine collagen may therefore be the most similar form of collagen to that found in human skin, so it is a sensible choice for collagen supplementation to support the skin.
Benefits of hydrolysed collagen
Hydrolysed collagen, otherwise known as collagen hydrolysate or collagen peptides, are simply chains of collagen fibres that have been broken into smaller pieces by enzymes. These pieces can be absorbed into the bloodstream to be used in the body’s tissue relatively quickly. Larger collagen proteins are digested and broken down into smaller pieces before being absorbed. A study found that hydrolysed collagen is more bioavailable than non-hydrolysed collagen; collagen peptides were found to enter tissues more quickly and more effectively than whole collagen proteins.
What to look for in collagen supplements
When you are choosing a hydrolysed marine collagen supplement from a saturated market there are 6 components you need to look out for.
- Transparency:Is the brand honest about their ingredients (check dosage and avoid fillers)? Is the brand transparent about the sourcing of ingredients, are the ingredients high quality? Finally, is the brand vocal and honest about product testimonials and reviews? Beauty Complex has over 100 five-star reviews.
- Collagen peptides:Keep an eye out for the words ‘peptides’, ‘hydrolysed’ or ‘hydrolysate’ on your collagen supplement label. These words mean that the collagen proteins have been broken down into smaller pieces so that they are more easily absorbed.
- Marine collagen:If you want a collagen supplement to support the skin, you will want to look out for marine collagen as this is the most similar to the collagen found in human skin. Read about marine collagen vs bovine collagen here.
- ‘Peptan’:Look for a collagen supplement brand that uses patented Peptan. This is a high quality, sustainably wild-caught marine collagen peptide product from the leading collagen producer, Rousselot. It has been rigorously quality tested, and it is the leading collagen product on the market. Read more about Peptan Marine.
- Powder:Choose a marine collagen peptide powder for its superior potency and absorbance, compared to pills and capsules. Marine collagen powder supplements can have up to 10 times the dosage found in marine collagen pills. Read about marine collagen powder vs pills.
- Multi-nutrient: Look for a combined supplement. Ingredients such as vitamin C, biotin and hyaluronic acid are popular ingredients to take alongside marine collagen peptides. They may boost collagen production, improve skin plumpness and contribute to the maintenance of normal hair and skin respectively.
A combined marine collagen peptide powder supplement
Beauty Complex uses Peptan marine collagen peptides from the global leading collagen producer. Our marine collagen is of the highest quality. The powdered formula allows for optimal absorbance of the peptides in this collagen drink.
Most importantly, Beauty Complex is a high-dosage marine collagen supplement with added ingredients to support the normal function of the hair, skin and nails. It may also boost natural collagen production in the body. Beauty Complex contains:
- 7,000mg of Peptan marine collagen peptides. This well above the recommended collagen supplement dosage
- Vitamin C, which helps to boost natural collagen synthesis in the body which naturally declines as we age.
- Hyaluronic acidwhich improves skin moisture and plumpness – improving the youthful appearance of skin by maintaining tissue structure and skin elasticity.
- Biotin,which contribute to the maintenance of normal hair and skin
- Selenium,which contributes to the maintenance of normal hair and nails.
- Copper,which contributes to normal pigmentation of hair and skin, helps fight oxidative stress in the body and may also support connective tissue, including that found in the skin.
- Vitamin E, which helps to protect the cells in the body from oxidative stress.
- Phytoceramides,which may help to improve the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- Natural sweeteners and colourings.Beta carotene, a nutrient found in carrots, gives Beauty Complex it’s vibrant colour while being lightly sweetened using stevia.
What is the best way to take marine collagen and why?
Powdered supplements may be more potent with much higher dosages. Powdered marine collagen sachets are the most convenient way to use powdered marine collagen, and they are also effectively absorbed by the body.
What is the best time to take collagen supplements?
We recommend that you mix Beauty Complex into a glass of water or juice and consume after eating food; this can be done at any time in the day.
Is marine collagen worth taking?
Studies have shown collagen supplementation’s potential benefits in improving the appearance of the skin. Marine collagen is the most similar to the collagen found in human skin, so it may have superior benefits. Choosing to supplement with marine collagen will depend on your lifestyle and budget. Marine collagen drink supplements are a convenient way to take high dosages of hydrolysed marine collagen.