Finding the best immune supplement for teenagers | What to look for?
It's essential to consider your teenager's health while many changes are occurring. Hormonal fluctuations, rapid growth and cognitive development will increase the body's demand for nutrients and fuel. For this reason, it is vital that teens have a healthy diet or use nutrition supplements. Immune health can often take a back seat during adolescence due to other functions taking priority; a busy lifestyle or limited diet can exacerbate this.
Dietary supplements can be a convenient and enjoyable way for teenagers to boost their overall health. This article covers why a healthy immune system is crucial for teenagers and how you can boost immune function. Then, we explore which vitamins to look for when choosing an immune support supplement for teens. Finally, we cover the benefits of Teen Revive the best multivitamin supplements for teens.
Why is immune health important for teenagers?
A child’s immune system tends to be more robust than during adulthood and beyond; however, many lifestyle factors can impact immune function in teenagers; puberty is the first consideration. Teenagers' bodies and hormones change rapidly during adolescence, which is energy and resource intensive. This can often leave the immune system lagging without enough of the proper nutrients.
Diet is also a huge contributor to a healthy immune system. It relies on several vitamins and minerals, and an unhealthy diet could be lacking an essential vitamin or two. If your teenager is a picky eater or their diet could be improved, this is where you could start with boosting their immune health.
Additionally, teenagers in secondary school, college or perhaps even starting university will be learning, making memories and forming new relationships. However, they will also inevitably have worries surrounding GCSEs, A-Levels and other significant changes around the corner. Stress management and good quality sleep are vital for a healthy immune response, and your teenager may not be hitting the mark.
How can you boost immune health in teenagers?
Here, we cover ways that you can help boost your/your teenager's immune system by making small dietary and lifestyle changes.
- Make sure to get at least eight hours of sleep per night. Teenagers tend to sleep significantly less than they require. This could be due to distractions such as mobile phones, video games or streaming. Adequate sleep is essential for a healthy immune system.
- Eat a healthy diet – make sure to eat a variety of healthy food including fruits, vegetables and both animal and plant-based proteins. Read about immunity supplements for vegans here. A varied diet will help you hit your nutrient requirements so your immune system can function normally in adolescence.
- Manage stress levels – as mentioned, stress in adolescence is inevitable, with new friendships, significant changes, and exams creeping up. To help manage your stress levels, take time to decompress after school or on weekends and take regular breaks when studying. Make time for hobbies, family and friends. Elevated stress levels can negatively impact immune function.
- Take an immune supplement – you may benefit from an immune supplement designed for teenagers. This can help to ensure teens get the proper nutrients for daily immune support.
Which vitamins are most important for teenagers' immune systems?
The types of vitamins and minerals essential for immune health are the same at any life stage; however, teenagers may want to pay particular attention to specific vitamins and minerals. Different functions in the body will be competing for resources, so it is vital to ensure teenagers have plenty of the following nutrients for immune support in adolescence.
- Zinc is an essential mineral that contributes to normal immune function and metabolism, healthy bones, fertility, and reproduction. It is crucial to ensure that the immune system gets enough zinc during hormonal changes.
- Vitamin D contributes to normal immune function but is also essential for healthy bones, teeth and muscle function. The role of vitamin D is closely linked to Calcium, so this should be considered too.
- Vitamin C contributes to normal immune function, normal bones, healthy skin, cartilage, energy metabolism and more. Vitamin C is essential for many body functions, so it is vital to get enough every day.
- Folate contributes to the immune system's normal function and cell division (for growth). Folate also contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
- Vitamin A is vital for iron metabolism, healthy skin, hair and nails, vision and a healthy immune system.
Additional vitamins and minerals should also be considered for optimal health in teenagers. Calcium essential for bone development and works synergistically with vitamin D. Look for a supplement that contains the recommended daily value of vitamins and minerals for the best results.
Teen Revive – the complete vitamin supplement for teenagers
At Revive Active, we have carefully chosen our vitamin supplement ingredients to suit the requirements of teenagers. Our supplement sachets are appropriately dosed for adolescents to ensure they get enough essential nutrients daily for immune support, heart health, and bone/brain development.
The powdered formula may be preferable for teens reluctant to take supplement tablets. Moreover, our Teen supplements are flavoured using a stevia derivative so is naturally sugar-free. Teen Revive contains nine vitamins and minerals known to support the immune system, including:
Teen Revive also contains live-friendly bacteria to support a teenager's microbiome.
- Causes, consequences, and reversal of immune system aging
- Stress responses and innate immunity: aging as a contributory factor
- The Bidirectional Relationship between Sleep and Immunity against Infections
- Adolescent perceptions of sleep and influences on sleep behaviour: A qualitative study
- Total Sleep Time Severely Drops during Adolescence
- Calcium and vitamin D